The replacement of missing teeth is a serious decision that needs to be made as soon as a tooth is lost. This eliminates the chance of the existing teeth shifting out of place. Drs. Ashraf, Mark, and Amir Awadalla of Esquire Dental Centres in the areas of Scarborough, Pickering, and North York, ON are here to help patients understand the advantages of placing permanent solutions – dental implants versus partial dentures and dental bridges.
What are dental implants?
The dentists of Esquire Dental Centres describe dental implants as titanium posts that are placed into the bone of the jaw to act as tooth root replacements. By doing so, the posts fuse with the bone through a process of osseointegration and become a firm foundation for the placement of dental crowns, bridges, or full dentures. Dental implants are incredibly versatile, and have several advantages over alternatives.
What alternatives are available?
Alternatives to dental implants include:
- Partial dentures – many patients may choose partial dentures because they are economical. However, these removable dentures may sometimes be problematic for patients who want a more permanent solution. Dentures need to be repaired and replaced over time due to changes in the smile. Additionally, patients want a solution that they don’t have to be reminded of each and every day when they replace and remove their restoration.
- Dental bridges – another option for patients is that of dental bridges. Dental bridges are a more permanent solution and can be used to replace one or more teeth in a row. these restorations are made of ceramic which is a strong material that closely mimics the appearance of natural tooth enamel. This option is less expensive than dental implants but may still require replacement and special attention for longevity.
What are the advantages of dental implants over bridges and dentures?
Dental implants are:
- An investment in the smile – while more expensive, dental implants can last a lifetime, making them an incredible way of improving the smile for life.
- Natural-looking – dental implants look just like natural teeth thanks to color-matching of dental crowns.
- Versatile – dental implants can hold crowns, bridges, or dentures.
- Long lasting– because these implants can last many years, they are an excellent option for our patients to consider.
- Strong – growth of the jawbone around implants during the process of osseointegration, make implants a strong option.
Find out how dental implants can change your life!
If you are interested in learning more about dental implants and how they can positively impact your smile, we welcome you to connect with Drs. Ashraf, Mark, and Amir Awadalla of Esquire Dental Centres. Our professionals are based in three practices in the areas of North York, Scarborough, and Pickering, ON. Our North York area practice can be reached by calling 416 223-7869 and is available for new patients in and around the community. Call today to find out how dental implants can be used as a successful tooth replacement option!