Happy smiles are a thing of pure beauty, especially those that belong to our children. Keeping the smile pain-free and totally healthy, as many parents learn, can be a challenge. It is for this reason that it is so beneficial to team with a skilled pediatric dentist near Scarborough or your area for ongoing dental care. The dental team at Esquire Dental Centres provides outstanding care based on individual need. We also see the importance of arming our patients with the information that will help them grow families of beautiful, healthy smiles.
- First comes oral hygiene, then comes teeth. Infants without teeth are just as in need of oral care as those whose teeth have erupted. Cleaning the gums, tongue, and cheeks with a soft, damp cloth removes sugar residue and oral bacteria that cause dental problems.
- Brushing starts early. Parents are encouraged to use a specially designed infant toothbrush as soon as teeth begin to appear.
- Avoid early dental caries (and an unhappy baby) by giving only water in the bottle at naptime. Liquids like juice and milk can leave sugar residue in the mouth to feed oral bacteria.
- Team with your child until he or she can fully care for teeth independently. This can take years! With supervision and the right encouragement, children can learn proper techniques. Often, the best way to show children how to care for teeth is to let them see you do the same.
- Team with your dentist to learn your child’s oral care needs and how to meet them.
- Offer healthy food choices that support healthy teeth. Crunchy fruits and vegetables are excellent at cleaning plaque from tooth surfaces. Calcium-rich foods build strong enamel. On the other hand, sugary foods promote cavities and foods high in acid content, such as soda and energy drinks, erode enamel, weakening tooth structure.
- Play it safe. Sporting activities are great for kids, but the use of proper safety gear is necessary to protect the teeth and the jaw from injury. Your dentist can design a custom fitted mouth guard for this purpose.
Esquire Dental Centres provides gentle, compassionate care to children and adults of all ages. Call us in Pickering, Scarborough, or North York to schedule your family’s check-ups.Back to Pediatric Dentistry Page