It’s a big day in a parent’s life, when you spot baby’s first tooth just beginning to emerge from pink gums. Of course, you want the best for your little one, so it’s important to begin thinking about pediatric dental care now. The doctors at Esquire Dental Centres really enjoy their small patients. They are pleased to bring dental education to parents in the North York area for a new generation of beautiful, healthy smiles.
It is a common misconception that there is no need to worry about the condition of baby teeth, since they fall out naturally anyway. Excellent early dental care is vital for these reasons:
- Your baby is just beginning to experience the wonders of a varied diet. Strong baby teeth allow baby to bite, chew, and grind to enjoy foods that nourish a growing body.
- Cavities hurt! Home care that begins with the first tooth helps to keep your child from suffering the discomfort of a toothache or getting a filling.
- Little mouths harbour hundreds of strains of bacteria, some of which lead to gum disease. Without good home hygiene and regular dental visits in the early years, your child may battle gum disease throughout adulthood.
- Learning to speak is tough enough with healthy teeth. Decay and missing teeth can impede progress in learning language skills.
- Baby teeth act as placeholders for the straight, strong adult teeth that will (hopefully) be there for life.
- Your child has a self-image. It is especially important, as the child reaches school age that he or she not be held back socially by an unattractive smile or bad breath.
- Good oral hygiene habits taught in childhood typically last a lifetime. When you lead by example, keeping baby’s mouth clean, and patiently teaching your toddler how to brush and floss properly, you instill an understanding of the importance of oral hygiene. Your child will enjoy a more beautiful smile and better overall health because of it.
Don’t worry; you aren’t on your own. The entire team at Esquire Dental Centres is behind you. We recommend that you schedule an initial appointment when the first tooth comes in, or by the first birthday. That gives us an opportunity to provide you with advice and begin building trust and rapport with your child, before real treatment is needed.
Drs. Ashraf, Mark, and Amir Awadalla provide preventive, restorative, cosmetic, and emergency dental care to patients of all ages in North York and surrounding areas. They understand how to care for your family. Call their North York office today at 416 223-7869 (or 416 203-1434 in Scarborough; 905 250-1605 in Pickering) to schedule an appointment.