People are becoming more conscious of how their teeth look, and many of those who have had cavities filled in the past may be turned off by the look of all that silver in their mouth. But getting new teeth fillings or replacing old silver fillings isn’t something patients look forward to doing. Thanks to technological advances, patients have more natural-looking options when fixing decayed teeth or replacing old fillings. North York residents can turn to Esquire Dental Centres for modern restorative materials to fix their teeth and brighten their smiles.
To help patients understand cosmetic teeth fillings, the experienced dentists at Esquire Dental Centres offered this list of seven things you may not know about this innovative material:
- Today’s cosmetic fillings use a resin-based composite material. It’s made of glass and plastic compounds and serves as a better-looking alternative to silver amalgam fillings.
- Composite fillings require less removal of the natural tooth structure because they can be bonded in place. That means less drilling, which is good news for patients.
- Composite fillings chemically bond to the structure of the tooth, which provides greater support.
- Your dentist can closely match the color of the composite filling to the color of your natural tooth.
- Once the filling is hardened with a special curing light, you can eat right away.
- The composite filling material can correct small or medium-sized cavities.
- These fillings can be used on front and back teeth, withstanding the stress of daily chewing.
While cosmetic teeth fillings are a great alternative to a mouth of silver or gold, some damaged or decayed teeth may need another material. If your teeth have extensive damage or decay, your dentist may instead recommend a porcelain inlay, onlay, or crown to provide greater support and protection. During your consultation, your dentist will discuss the best options for you and your teeth.
If you and your dentist determine that cosmetic teeth fillings are right for you, your teeth can be fixed in one appointment in just a few easy steps. North York residents should call Esquire Dental Centres today at 416 223-7869 to set up a consultation for restoration work.