Your young ones love to run and play. Unfortunately, in the process, they can fall and hurt themselves. Fortunately, you don’t have to feel stressed or unsure of what to do when your kid’s dental emergencies come knocking on your doors. At Esquire Dental Centres in Scarborough, Ontario, we offer child dental emergency services. But first, let’s take you through common dental emergencies and how to respond to them.
Common dental emergencies in children
While dental emergencies can be distressing to parents and kids alike, they are pretty common. About one-third of kids have experienced dental trauma, and more have had a dental emergency. Here are the common dental emergencies.
- Toothache: Tooth decay, wisdom tooth eruption, and trauma are likely to cause pain in children.
- Dental knock-out (avulsion): While a knocked-out baby tooth isn’t always considered an emergency, you should call your dentist. While you are not required to keep this tooth moist like a permanent one, you can bring it along during your appointment.
- Broken or fractured jaw: If you suspect your kid’s jaw is broken, exercise extreme care when handling the child. Ultimately, press a cold compression on your kid’s jaws to stop swelling. Then, contact your dentist for an emergency visit.
- Tooth sensitivity: There are many reasons why your kid’s teeth could be sensitive to hot or cold foods. For example, it could be an injury or cavity. Rather than throwing the dice and hope everything will be okay, schedule an appointment with your dentist.
- Dental abscess: An infection of the tooth root may form pockets of pus, which, if left untreated, may birth to many dental complications, including severe toothache, fever, and facial swelling.
- Lost fillings: If a filling has popped loose in your older kids, please schedule an emergency visit with your dentist, as leaving the filling untreated may expose the tooth underneath.
Book an Appointment
Call your trusted Scarborough Emergency Dentist
Even with the best planning, dental emergencies can still occur. When dental emergencies arise, don’t hesitate to book an appointment with Esquire Dental Centres by dialling 416 223-7869. Drs. Ashraf Awadalla, Amir Awadalla, and Mark Awadalla have seen it all — so instead of panicking when dental emergencies happen, be sure to call us immediately. Trust us to take good care of your child.