At one time, it was not uncommon to see people with noticeable dental work. Silver fillings, gold crowns, metal braces, and plastic-looking dentures were considered normal, and they were a great improvement over painful, unhealthy, unattractive dental problems. However, today's advanced materials have made noticeable dental work a thing of the past. Modern cosmetic fillings use a resin-based material that can be color matched to blend flawlessly with the surrounding tooth material.
How cosmetic fillings are used
Tooth colored, composite resin fillings provide excellent fracture resistance and durability for correcting small or medium sized cavities. They can withstand the stress and pressure of chewing, and they look just like natural tooth material. This makes composite fillings a good choice for either back or front teeth.
For teeth with extensive decay or damage, a composite filling may not be sufficient. In this case, your dentist will recommend an inlay, onlay, or crown. Inlays and onlays are stronger than fillings, because they are made of porcelain. Crowns are even stronger, and they protect the tooth, because they encase the tooth in a thick layer of porcelain. Your dentist will explain the best solution for your specific situation after a comprehensive examination.
What to expect
The procedure is rather simple, but it is technique sensitive, so it's advisable to choose a skilled, experienced dentist such as those at Esquire Dental Centres.
A cosmetic filling can be placed in one appointment, with just a few steps:
- First, the tooth is numbed for your comfort.
- All decayed, diseased tooth material is removed, leaving the healthy portion intact.
- A putty-like resin is applied in layers until the cavity is filled.
- The filling is sculpted and then cured with a special hardening light.
- The contours of the material are further refined after it has been hardened.
- The final step is polishing the composite, which helps prevent staining and premature wear.
If you are looking for a convenient, healthy, beautiful way to restore your smile, visit Esquire Dental Centres at one of our three convenient locations in Pickering, Scarborough, or North York.
Contact us today.
- Cosmetic Teeth Fillings North York - 7 things you may not know about cosmetic teeth fillings in North York
- Dental Fillings Near Me In North York - Are there metal-free dental fillings available near me in North York?
- Best Restorative Dental Care Near Me In Pickering - What are the best ways to avoid restorative dental care near me in Pickering?
- Best White Fillings For Teeth In Scarborough - Are white fillings for teeth preferred by dentists in Scarborough?
- Restorative Dentist Near Me In Scarborough - What can a restorative dentist near me in Scarborough do about gum disease?
- Amalgam Fillings North York - Why amalgam fillings are absent from our North York and other offices
- Tooth Fillings Near Scarborough CA - Tooth-colored fillings from your dentist near Scarborough, CA offer significant benefit to the smile