At one time, it was not uncommon to see people with noticeable dental work. Silver fillings, gold crowns, metal braces, and plastic-looking dentures were considered normal, and they were a great improvement over painful, unhealthy, unattractive dental problems. However, today's advanced materials have made noticeable dental work a thing of the past. Modern cosmetic fillings use a resin-based material that can be color matched to blend flawlessly with the surrounding tooth material.
How cosmetic fillings are used
Tooth colored, composite resin fillings provide excellent fracture resistance and durability for correcting small or medium sized cavities. They can withstand the stress and pressure of chewing, and they look just like natural tooth material. This makes composite fillings a good choice for either back or front teeth.
For teeth with extensive decay or damage, a composite filling may not be sufficient. In this case, your dentist will recommend an inlay, onlay, or crown. Inlays and onlays are stronger than fillings, because they are made of porcelain. Crowns are even stronger, and they protect the tooth, because they encase the tooth in a thick layer of porcelain. Your dentist will explain the best solution for your specific situation after a comprehensive examination.
What to expect
The procedure is rather simple, but it is technique sensitive, so it's advisable to choose a skilled, experienced dentist such as those at Esquire Dental Centres.
A cosmetic filling can be placed in one appointment, with just a few steps:
- First, the tooth is numbed for your comfort.
- All decayed, diseased tooth material is removed, leaving the healthy portion intact.
- A putty-like resin is applied in layers until the cavity is filled.
- The filling is sculpted and then cured with a special hardening light.
- The contours of the material are further refined after it has been hardened.
- The final step is polishing the composite, which helps prevent staining and premature wear.
If you are looking for a convenient, healthy, beautiful way to restore your smile, visit Esquire Dental Centres at one of our three convenient locations in Pickering, Scarborough, or North York.
Contact us today.